3
TALENT
Attracting new ideas and future leaders
There is a soaring demand for top talent throughout our industry–and a career in agriculture doesn’t mean you had to grow up on a farm. After all, when it comes to meeting the global food challenge, we know new and innovative ideas come from diverse perspectives.
Annual U.S. Job Openings
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Preparing the next generation
We’ve shown up on campuses in a big way. These strong relationships with key universities give us an edge in recruiting the best talent to our team.
Since the 2008-2009 school year, we’ve increased our presence at events on college and university campuses across the country by 386 percent. During this same time period, our internship program has grown 408 percent. Our growing presence on campus has also benefited our federated system: In 2014, we hired 64 interns and trained an additional 155 for our member-cooperatives. 

Through the Land O’Lakes Foundation, we also supported a number of key universities—Purdue University, University of Wisconsin, Iowa State University, South Dakota State University and others—by contributing to scholarship programs, gift matching and direct donations. 

In September, Land O’Lakes and the Land O’Lakes Foundation committed to donate $25 million, over a 10-year period, to the University of Minnesota. The contribution will drive student development programs within the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences, the Carlson School of Management and the College of Science and Engineering along with leadership development of student-athletes. Graduates from these programs are primed to drive innovation in marketing, supply chain, research and development and many other areas.
Who we are
Ever wondered what it’s like to work at Land O’Lakes? Well, you’re in luck. We’ve rounded up a group of employees to tell you what we’re all about.
Advancing the conversation
A staggering 98 percent of Americans has no direct connection to where the food they eat comes from.* That leaves just 2 percent with farming ties and a lot of misconceptions about how our food is grown. Now more than ever, we need to continue the conversation about how we’ll meet the challenges ahead.
We helped initiate the Feeding the Planet series that is a part of Planet Forward, a unique convening body hosted by George Washington University’s School of Media and Public Affairs that engages young people and innovators in addressing the biggest challenges facing our planet. The Feeding the Planet series includes think-tank style salons that each explore specific ideas in addressing the future of food and shapes the agenda of an annual summit built to spark new ideas from scientists, business leaders, advocates, students and government leaders.

Our member-owners have also joined the discussion. Ten dairy farmer and local cooperative member leaders attended the inaugural summit and a number have participated in the salons to share their sustainable productivity stories and offer solutions to complex agricultural problems. 

We also established the Global Food Challenge Emerging Leaders for Food Security program. The yearlong fellowship provides an opportunity for 10  students to identify innovative and practical ways to improve food security. In addition to strengthening our relationship with key universities, the program is designed to encourage creative thinking that could spark our industry’s next big innovation. Students will engage with other future leaders and industry advocates, sharing knowledge, experiences and bringing new ideas to the table.

The fellowship will culminate in an 11-week summer internship, during which the students will learn from local cooperative and dairy members, engage with legislators and regulators in Washington, D.C., and travel to Africa to participate in a project administered through our International Development Division.

* American Farm Bureau Federation, 2014
GROWING INTEREST
Through the Answer Plot® Community Gardens program, we’re showing FFA students the impact of hunger in their communities—while teaching agronomic skills that can benefit them down the road. WinField agronomists work with FFA chapters throughout the summer with students in charge of planting, growing and harvesting vegetables, which is donated to local food banks. Nearby member-cooperatives also help the students tend their gardens. The result is shelves stocked with fresh food for the pantries, and lasting relationships and leadership opportunities for the students.
 
© 2015 Land O'Lakes, Inc. | Privacy Policy | P.O. Box 64101, Saint Paul, MN 55164